Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Trouble with Gravity

Gravity is one of the four forces in physics.  I have read a lot about this force and how it has shaped the universe.  I first became interested in gravity when reading about Einstein and Newton.  These two gentlemen's ideas intrigued me.  One thing stood out to me in Einstein's theories of space-time.  Basically space-time is warped by the bodies placed in it, such as planets and even Newton's apple.

I have also done research into quantum mechanics, and I have read that physicists are searching for "gravitons" little particles of gravity.  My trouble is that I had come to think of gravity as sort of a displacement of space-time.  It does not make sense to me that a particle should be expected.  If you are mixing cookie batter, and you place chocolate chips in the batter, the rest of the batter must move to accommodate the chips.  A new particle is not introduced to cause the displacement besides the chocolate chips, themselves.

I emailed one of my favorite theoretical physicists about this, Brian Greene, but I have not heard back.  I figure he is either too busy, or he thinks my question is too ridiculously simple to waste his time.  Oh well.  I hope to get answers from some of my physics professors, because I must be missing something if all of these well-educated individuals all believe gravitons are waiting to be discovered.

If, and its a big if, the gravitons do not exist and gravity is simple space-time displacement, would that fix the issue we have been having on the search for the theory of everything?  If gravity is mere "displacement" does it belong in the major forces category at all?  I am sure that my ignorance is probably why I am not understanding this, but I need more information  to resolve my trouble with gravitons.

My ex-boyfriend from many years ago said to me, "There is no such thing as gravity.  The Earth just sucks." Maybe he was right.  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment